Monday, January 31, 2011

Tin Fish

We here at the Commissary are going to conclude this surprisingly-productive month of postings (9 in total - apparently, I have too much time on my hands) with a very brief summary of our dinner this past Friday evening at a local seafood restaurant, Tin Fish. In spite of being located a mere 5 minutes from our house and despite the fact that I was a frequent diner at their now-defunct 2nd location in Oakbrook (by virtue of it being just steps from my old office - yes, I did actually have a real career not that long ago), we'd yet to stop by in the almost 5 years that we've lived in Tinley Park. An opportunity to go finally presented itself when we were looking to choose a nice place to eat with our new foodie friends, the Gs (Hackknife Jr. goes to preschool with the Gs' younger son).

When the 4 of us first sat down, my initial impression of the restaurant vibe was noise, and lots of it. This was mostly due to the manager (at least I assume he was the manager) conducting what I could only describe as an extended bout of grotesquely animated storytelling with some patrons at the table next to us. I couldn't quite get the gist of what he was saying, but it was impossible to miss and I was pretty much distracted to the point of uselessness while reviewing the wine list. Crazy story having concluded, we were finally able to narrow down our menu and drink choices. Starting out, we ordered some of the house specialty Maytag blue cheese potato chips and a half dozen oysters (this was Mrs. G's inaugural oyster experience, which she handled quite admirably, I might add). For entrees, Mrs. Hackknife opted for some Georges Bank scallops sauteed in a lemon balsamic butter sauce with smashed potatoes, roasted tomato, and prosciutto, while I decided to buck convention and go with the lamb chop special (medium-rare, which included mashed potatoes with marinated Kalamata olives, pickled vegetables, and sherry vinegar) instead of seafood. Neither of us was disappointed - in fact, I think the Gs were pleased with their entrees as well.

So, to summarize, given the opportunity (and a slight noise reduction), we'd be happy to make a return visit sometime soon. We're also looking forward to our next foodie excursion with the Gs....

No comments:

Post a Comment