Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Publix Hula Hula Macadamia Ice Cream




Today is the day we here at the Canteen are giving a grateful shout-out to Tampa Bay Times food critic Laura Reiley for turning us on to a limited-edition ice cream flavor from our local Corporate Grocery behemoth, Publix. Back in January, Madame Reiley wrote this article touting the virtues of said ice cream, a base flavor of what the Publix brass deem "whipped cream" (it's mostly like vanilla), plus caramel ribbons and candied pieces of macadamia nut (which, I'm sure most of you will agree, is the best of all possible nuts). Having read the article, I was intrigued enough to stake out my nearby neighborhood Publix until it one day appeared, and I purchased a half-gallon for my own analysis. Now, in many cases, I find the hype surrounding such limited-edition products to be unwarranted; however, in this instance, the obsessed Hula Hula devotees are right - this is rarefied stuff (especially with a healthy drizzling of Hershey's Chocolate Syrup, a tiny, over-the-top addition that probably directs me down the path to eternal damnation), so good I slinked out a day or two later to secure another half-gallon before it disappeared completely from shelves. By mid-February, there was no more Hula Hula to be had - luckily, there's a Facebook page ("Where's My Hula Hula Ice Cream?") I can monitor for signs of its next appearance (just like the first tulip bulbs in Spring) in January 2016...

No comments:

Post a Comment