Sunday, December 30, 2012

Thai Curry with Red Kuri Squash

With winter now here for good at the Commissary, we recently received our last couple of farmboxes for the season. As you might have guessed, root vegetables (carrots, turnips, beets, etc.) and squashes make up the vast majority of our end-of-year bounty. Last winter, I got a red kuri squash and was able to turn it into a pumpkin-like pie; this time around, since we'd been knee-deep in pies from Halloween onward, I decided to seek out a savory recipe for the red kuri squash that arrived. I stumbled across the following Thai curry recipe from fellow blogger CarpeSeason that sounded like it was worth a try. A long time ago, I attempted a yellow Thai curry that didn't go over so well; nonetheless, I happened to still have the yellow curry paste in the fridge to stand in for the green curry listed in the recipe. Because the family is spice-challenged, I really dialed back the curry amounts, using less than a tablespoon of curry paste and only slightly more than 1 Tbsp. of curry powder. For the extra vegetable, I went with the blogger's recommendation of broccoli, buying a big bag of frozen florets (I think it was 12 or 14 oz.). Everything else was followed to the letter and I served the steaming curry to my hungry housemates atop small mounds of basmati rice. As usual, the progeny turn up noses; however, Mrs. Hackknife and I were quite taken with the results, happy both with and without the green onion/cilantro garnish. This recipe is definitely a keeper, although I'll probably need to procure a different type of squash next time since, like McRib, red kuri only appears once in a blue moon...

No comments:

Post a Comment